OpenSea Shares Update on Verification, Copymints
OpenSea has responded to 90 percent of collection badging and verification requests within one day and 99 percent within one week, according to an update from the NFT marketplace on its NFT collection verification and copymint protection efforts.
The largest secondary NFT marketplace has been working to improve its verification process, which at times has been criticized as slow and lacking in transparency, potentially harming consumers who unassumingly purchase a scam, or copied NFT collection.
In addition to the progress update, OpenSea is opening the threshold for verification status.
Now NFT collections that have traded at least 75 ETH on the secondary market are invited to apply for verification and the collection badge, or checkmark, that signifies a legitimate collection. Previously, collections needed to trade 100 ETH on the secondary market in order to apply.
OpenSea claims that with the improvements in the collection badging system, it can now detect and remove copymints from its marketplace within 2 hours.
Last but not least, the marketplace provided additional transparency on its copymint definition, which was built with community input.
An NFT can be considered a copymint if it meets any of the following criteria:
- A pixel-for-pixel replica (exact match of an original collection)
- A replica that is flipped, rotated, or facing the opposite direction
- A replica that is resized, zoomed in or out, cropped, or repositioned
- A replica with added or removed borders and edges
- A replica with unintegrated texts, logos, or emojis, either typed or drawn
- A replica that only swaps the background color
- A replica with colors swapped, modified, or saturated (for example, colors have been brightened or darkened, including black and white versions of the original)
- A pixelated version of the original artwork
More information about copymints can be found in the marketplace's documentation.
Over the next few months OpenSea aims to improve the speed in which it can remove copymints and expand its detection methods as well.