Morning Minute | Crypto's Hottest New TV Show Is Coming to Amazon
TylerD's Market Summary
The crypto market is about to get more exposure, as "The Next Crypto Gem" debuts on Amazon Prime on Sept 7. Learn more about it, plus catch up on Sam Spratt's huge week!
📺 Finding "The Next Crypto Gem"
Surprised at the general lack of crypto and/or web3 coverage on television?
Well that's about to change.
A new reality TV show called "The Next Crypto Gem" is coming to Amazon and other platforms on September 7.
Crypto meets "The Apprentice," where a series of contestants pitch and compete to win $150k top prize.
"The Next Crypto Gem" TLDR
Here is the quick rundown for the show:
- What: Crypto-focused reality TV show combining elements of "The Apprentice" and "Shark Tank" where 16 contestants compete for a $150k prize
- Who: The judges are big crypto and web3 personalities like Brian D. Evans, Layah Heilpern, and George Tung, with major guests lined up in Kevin Harrington, BitBoy and more
- When: Sept 7
- Where: Amazon Prime, Insight TV, Pluto TV, Samsung, Vizio LG, and more
A primary focus of the show is on education.
Many of the contestants' challenges revolve around tasks like "de-mystifying" crypto for normies, and the judges will have frequent "The Big Short"-like moments where they pause to explain crypto terminology.
Why It Matters
A major factor in the lack of broad crypto adoption is a lack of understanding in its basic principles.
A fun, educational TV show that can garner a wide mainstream audience could start to chip away at that broad lack of knowledge.
And while this is not the first crypto-related TV show, it is the first major one (that I'm aware of) to hit a major streaming platform like Amazon Prime. So the potential reach is there.
Want to learn more?
Catch the trailer here to get more insight into the show's format and personalities.
Or tune in to today's Lucky Lead spaces where "The Next Crypto Gem" judge Brian Evans will be joining us live to talk about the show!
🖼 Sam Spratt's "Monument" Millions
Not many people in web3 have had a better week than Sam Spratt.
Last night, Sam's "IX. The Monument Game" 1/1 auction ended in a bidding war resulting in a 420.69 ETH final bid, won by kukulabanze.eth.
This brought Sam's total raise from "The Monument Game" to over 1,110 ETH (~$1.85M), after selling ~690 ETH in the "Ticket" editions just to play the game.
An incredible win in this bear market, which saw SuperRare notch less than 1 ETH of trading volume one day this week.
As for the buyer, Ryan Zurrer, he was also the buyer of Beeple's "HUMAN ONE" which sold for $28.99M back in November of 2021.
The Council of Luci will be in Deliberations to choose the finalists (Aug 28) and then the 3 winners (Aug 31) who each will receive the Skull of Luci prize and gain acceess to the Council.
Interestingly enough, those player Tickets were released for secondary trading after the auction closed (though Deliberations hadn't started yet).
The floor has opened at 3.8 ETH (14% above the 3.33 ETH mint price) on 37 ETH volume. The real test of the floor though will come once Deliberations have ended and the Skull prizes have been delivered (and more supply likely hits the market).
Good luck to all the participants - may the odds be ever in your favor!
🚚 What else is happening in NFTs?
Here is the list of other notable headlines from the day in NFTs:
- Trading volume came in around 5.7k ETH on Thursday; the NFT board was washed in green as most mid-tier PFPs rallied 10-15% on the day (BAYC at 24.7 ETH, DeGods at 4.22, MAYC at 5.1 and Azuki at 4.4)
- Trump Digital Trading Card NFTs rallied 60% to a 0.19 ETH floor after the ex-president's appearance on Tucker Carlson's show Wednesday night and then being booked in a Georgia jail on Thursday night (with a viral mugshot)
- Snowfro's "heart + craft" went live yesterday with a surprise that dozens of NFT collection holders would get free mints; so far over 11k have been minted
- Braindrops announced its next AI art project "Mappings" will be 500 in supply, released on Aug 30
- Parallel is partnering with Free NFT to give away free starter packs and special edition Parallel cars
- The next Pudgy Penguin toy has debuted, as the Pineapple Suit Pudgy is expected to ship in November and priced at $199
- VeeFriends Series 2 NFT holders can soon swap scenes and update metadata in upcoming activations and Burn Island Eruptions
- Gala Games and Uniflow unveiled Champions Arena, a turn-based RPG featuring more than 100 unique NFT Champions and various gameplay styles
- DraftKings Reignmakers fans and players are in luck, as Lucky Trader has released our first-ever lineup optimizer tool for both PGA and NFL
- NFT personalities Easy and Threadguy are competing in a 1-on-1 basketball game in Miami tonight (ahead of this weekend's Mutant party) in what may be the single-biggest NFT-related sporting event of all time
🌎 Around Crypto and Web3
A few other Crypto and Web3 headlines that caught my eye:
- The crypto market fell slightly on Thursday as chop continues; BTC -1.3% at $26,100; ETH -1% at $1,650
- PEPE sank 17% to a $350M marketcap Thursday after news spread that the team apparently changed their multi-sig to require just 2 of 8 signatures and the devs' tokens started moving to exchanges; other memecoins fell as well following suit
- FTX is preparing to start selling its $3B+ crypto holdings while also staking and hedging with help from Mike Novogratz and Galaxy
- Friend Tech announced that its photo-sharing feature went live inside chats, leading to a major spike in Only Fans-related accounts ahead of airdrop 2 happening later today
🚀 NFT Total Volume
- BAYC (1,459 ETH, 24.7 ETH Floor)
- DeGods 1,363 ETH,4.22 ETH)
- MAYC (815 ETH, 5.1 ETH)
- Azuki (318 ETH, 4.4 ETH)
- Pudgy Penguins (259 ETH, 4 ETH)
📈 NFT Floor Price Increase
- Station 3 (30%, 1.36 ETH Floor)
- Treeverse (26%, 0.19 ETH)
- Winds of Yawanawa (25%, 4.99 ETH)
- Killabears (25%, 0.77 ETH)
- Checks - VV Edition (22%, 0.45 ETH)
🗓 Upcoming NFT Mints and Reveals
Today is a slow day of new drops to round out the week.
Postwook is the Memes card artist, so that one will catch some attention. Atari X has today's Onchain Summer mint over on Base.
And then Mighty Labs DAO drops their western-themed project (white list access) later today.
It may be an interesting weekend given the recent rally in the PFP sector - hopefully the momentum continues...
If you want more, see the full list of today's drops from Swizzy's daily mint monitor.
- Memes by 6529 (11:00 a.m. ET)
- MightLabsDAO - Pioneers (2:00 p.m. ET)
- Base - Atari X (TBD)
Enjoy this write-up and/or want to sponsor the Morning Minute? Follow along with me on Twitter @tyler_did_it or reach out via email email@example.com.
For all volume and floor price data, see Lucky Trader's Project Rankings page.
For all upcoming mints, see Lucky Trader's NFT Calendar page.