EtherOrcs Halt Development
The EtherOrcs project is halting new development, according to a tweet last night from co-founder @poof_eth.
❗Why It Matters
EtherOrcs was one of the early web3 gaming projects to gain traction when it dropped in October of 2021. Since then, the EtherOrcs Genesis collection has generated over 6,200 ETH in secondary trading volume on OpenSea.
🧠 Need to Know
- EtherOrcs originally dropped as a free mint with no monetization.
- According to poof, the project has taken in less than 400 ETH in royalties.
- EtherOrcs claims to have created the "on-chain gaming category" and was one of the few projects to offer a playable game to date.
- The team has explored funding options, but poof noted that "a project like ours is difficult for investors and adventure capitalists [sic] to understand."
- Poof says the team opted not to sell a new collection in order to raise funds, as that path does not align with the team's ethics.
🔜 What's Next?
- The project will transition to CC0 so that others can build using EtherOrcs assets and IP.
- Because EtherOrcs are fully on-chain, poof says there is opportunity for the "community to build on the base assets and find new ways of engaging with the project."
🎤 Community Feedback
So much respect for you, the team and the EtherOrcs community. The project represents a spirit that is essential to this space. Thank you for everything.bearsnake_21
Im sorry to hear this. You guys worked really hard. Please keep making games in web3. We need dedicated developers making cool things. Let us know what your next adventure is.RealJonahBlake