Sotheby's Presents "GRAILS: Property from an Iconic Digital Art Collection"
Sotheby's Metaverse announced that it will be holding a series of auctions throughout 2023 featuring one of the most significant collections of digital art ever assembled.
❗ Why It Matters
GRAILS, formed as part of the now-defunct crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital (3AC) in 2021, has grails in its collection that represent some of the very best of the Contemporary Digital Art and Generative era.
- Pieces from the collection will be offered globally across a variety of live and online auctions, as well as via private sale and additional sales channels, to showcase groups of works in different contexts and formats.
- Seven hand-picked works from the collection will go to auction for the first time during Sotheby’s Marquee Sale Week, starting May 19th at Sotheby's New York.
- Some of the highlights of the GRAILS collection include Dmitri Cherniak’s Ringers #879 (also called “The Golden Goose”), Tyler Hobbs' Fidenza #216, Larva Labs' Zombie CryptoPunk #6649, Kjetil Golid's Cube Archetype #397, Larva Labs' Autoglyphs (#187, #218, and #358), Snowfro's full-spectrum Chromie Squiggle #1780, and Tyler Hobbs' Fidenza #31. The collection also boasts Tyler Hobbs' small-scale Fidenza #725 and a one-of-one by Alpha Centauri Kid, among other things.
📊 By the Numbers
Sotheby’s is committed to prioritizing and elevating artists and will honor creators’ royalties for secondary sales, with sellers paying the standard fee of 10%.
At Sotheby's New York, the buyer's premium will be 26% for any purchases up to $1,000,000, 20% for purchases between $1,000,000 and $4,500,000, and 13.9% for purchases more than $4,500,000.
🎤 Founder Feedback
🔜 What’s Next?
Further details about the Sotheby's GRAILS collection will be released in advance of each sale.
🧠 Learn More
- Sotheby's "Grails: Property from an Iconic Digital Art Collection" official press release
- Creditors Eye Three Arrows' Grail NFTs (July 15, 2022)